Thursday, October 2, 2014

Comeback, fashion week and politics ♡



As we all know, it came  time for the fashion week, and of course we all have our favorites and less favorite , so I'll be picking my top 5.
But first I would like to talk about the other side of fashion week, the negative side.
As I was 'digging' through the internet pages, as I usually do, to find inspiration, I came across some interesting topics.
We all herd about  VICE  and its controversial documentaries, but they also have other sections, and among others there is a fashion section.

I must say that now, there are some pretty interesting topics going on, bringing new questions and debates on the table.
The first heading that caught my eye was «I dressed like an idiot at Fashion Week to see how easy it is to get street-snapped».
The girl who did it, went on some kind of dumpster or so, and took random items of clothing and put them together wearing on high sock on top of it.
People took a bunch of photos, asking her what is she wearing and if she was a blogger!
Check out the full story here. 

It all reminded me of some epic videos on youtube, taking place at Milano's fashion week.
The interviewer decided to have a bit of fun with all those fashion lovers, so he invented names such as Alessandro Vogue (or something like that) and asked people if they knew him, if they saw him, where was his car, etc..
The crowd confidently responded with a yes adding that he was a catch. The interviewer also asked if they knew that he organized the event, the crowd once again replayed with a yes.

There is a few episodes of it, and if you are italian or if you can understand italian, I would definitely recommend you to check it out.

To get back to VICE and some of the other interesting headings,  there was this one saying «Fashion week sucks Balls», where the autor talks about the true side of the event: a bunch of bloggers seeking for attention, people trying to be important and fit in, all the waiting, etc.... to not ramble on, here you go the link  and you should definitely read it.

Here it might seem like I am trashing myself, but I can assure you that that is not the case. I never wanted my blog to be a typical fashion blog, as I already mentioned it before. For me fashion is a lifestyle, from how you decorate your room, to how and what you cook, to what you read, it's who you are, so I might as well talk about it all.

And yes, the first time I went to the Fashion Week, I was excited like hell, but somehow left with a very weird and unpleasant feeling in side of me.
Of course I would like to see once a big fashion show in Milano or London or Paris, but surely as a one time thing.
To me it's all part of Hollywood, and we all love it so much, and some want that magic dust so badly that they try so hard, ending up bitter and just looking ridiculous. Some succeed, like the italian «the Blonde Salad», which for me personally, is the most boring blog ever, just pictures, well, mostly,t o not generalize.


Why Hollywood? A bunch of starts show up, being photographed, wearing some of the designers clothes, looking fabulous, designers representing them new lines, which they can also buy, they hang out with each other later, and they communicate with each other also outside fashion week.

They are all part of Hollywood, and it's brilliant and fabulous,  but some «mortals» just don't understand they are trying so hard, and the girl who went dressed like and idiot there just made a point with it.

One fashion documentary that takes place in Ukraine, raised a political question mark above my head –' is it ok to involve fashion in to politics?' .
It's a great documentary about the fashion week in Ukraine who goes on despite all the bloody protest going on, the high and expensive fashion still goes on, keeping their stores opened, while everything around is closed and in ruins.






Some designers chose to send a message with their clothes,  decorating the cat-walk with blood and bullets. Some decided to not participate, as young designer Anton Belinsky, who tried to send a message with his picture who was photo-shoot in the middle of the protest.

The message that the photographer Valentin Bo tried to send to the now ex president Viktor Janoekovitsj was also very interesting.

The VICE interviewer and Bo, where the first to be able to use the presidential palace, after it was shot down when the president got arrested, accused for the «mass killing of civilians».
One of the models was wearing an outfit that said shit across her outfit, sending the message that the President is shit, and they are the flies.


So, involve politics in to fashion? Why not?
I mean, isn't fashion supposed to be something you can express  yourself, make a statement, even tho it's a political one?
We should be able to express ourselves in every single possible way, it's the only prove we are still very alive and thinking straight, not just another puppet in the row.




To see the documentary click here

Speaking about protest, and with that I would like to 'nominate' my first one and only Chanel who along Karl Lagerfeld, stage a feminist protest in Paris and it was led by Cara DeLevigne.
The clothing weren't much of my style, but points for the protest.
It seems that everyone is talking about it everywhere, so I came across a page who posted the tabloids from the Chanel's show, and on them they wrote stuff that should be written instead.

Some of them insulting the Kardashians, some accusing fashion week of fascism, that fashion turned in to war (or something like that), well, some unpleasant but truthful words.






I loved Givenchy and how they  included leather, lace, grommets and corsetry, all in black and white, fab.

Saint Laurent with the designer Heindi Slimane won my heart once more.
A-line baby doll dresses,  slick trouser suit, thigh-high miniskirt or shorts with jacket, mostly leather, using cherry print, leopard print... well I just loved it.


Jean Paul Gaultier’s fashion show and clothing were pretty much interesting.
He is well know of having celebs walking the catwalk, from Madonna to Dita Von Teese, to Conchita Wurst on his catwalk, and this time he surprised again putting on a beauty pageant complete with a judge played by Rossy de Palma parodying Madame de Fontenay, the be-hatted former chairwoman of the Miss France committee. There were also some famous transvestites included, if I am not mistaken.

One thing I noticed is the «selfie»  party, which was used by Tyra Banks in her America's Next Top Model show who just started with a new season.
Tyra, Tyra, trying so so hard, but the thing is – you are getting cheaper and cheaper. You have at disposition all that money, connections, and yet you manage to make a fiasco.

All in all, loved it all –HA. :)


I also loved the rising star of Milano – Stella Jean, with her colorful line, mixed with bourgeois shapes, high impact prints , styled or very lady like or tomboyish.


                                         ♡








Now, about my styling. I took it very easy, something I could wear during the day and night. Why is that important? Living in Lisbon has completely change it for me. Until  you get to the 'center' of the city, you need around one hour minimum. During the day is very hot, during the night it can get really chilly, but not always. So if you decide to go to the city, in my case ofc, I stay to party or for at least a longer tour. In that case you need to be able to turn your day outfit in to night, since in some parts it gets freaking windy.
Thought my summer night would be much more hotter than in Croatia, but it's not the case.
The leather jacket it's my mom's, from the time when she was young and in London. Vintage well amde piece, that never goes out of style.
The alien top was made by my friend Claudia and her cute little shop in Caldas da Rainha,  where I used to live, called Gold Velvet.
I will be sharing with you the photo-shootign I did for her store (soon, promise).
The pants were a gift from my very 90's child, female version of  young Macaulay Culkin, the lovely Georgia from Australia.
The so popular adidas 'slippers' were a gift from my beloved grandma, me and my little brother have the same, he has them in blue.
Sunglasses – vintage of-course, and in a very bad shape already, but still holdin'.














No comments:

Post a Comment